Thursday, July 9, 2026

THE CASH STUFF FOR JULY 16, 2026

REV. DR. T. ANTHONY SPEARMAN

EXCLUSIVE

WIFE & SON OF THE LATE 

REV. T. ANTHONY SPEARMAN

SPEAK ON 4TH ANNIVERSARY

OF HIS DEATH (PART ONE)

By Cash Michaels

Contributing writer


Four years ago, on the afternoon of July 19th, 2022, the lifeless body of beloved former NC NAACP President Rev. Dr. Theodore Anthony Spearman, 71, was found in the bloody basement of his Greensboro home by a colleague.

Immediately on social media, there were sorrowful expressions of loss for a deeply loved and respected leader known for his soft tone, but firm stand on justice and equality.

“Doc was a freedom fighter, mentor, and friend,” posted “Ana,” a saddened NC NAACP officer. “I am still in shock and processing, but I am blessed to have known him, been guided by him, and engage alongside him in non-violent civil disobedience.

“Ana” concluded, “… at any given time that he was called upon to take action he never said no. I promise you Doc, that I will fulfill the last request you made of me, and I will continue to fight to ensure that truth is revealed, rest now my brother, we got you!!!”

The ensuing controversy, rank speculation and sordid innuendo of Rev. Spearman’s death was only partially quelled by the controversial finding by the N.C. Office of the Chief Medical Examiner rendered in February 2023 - “…self-inflicted gunshot wound of the head resulting in significant internal injury…”

When the nature of the former state NAACP leader’s demise was finally revealed, the few who reacted and really knew the man, couldn't accept it. 

But Rev. Spearman’s family never said a word. Long before that report was released, the body of the cherished husband of 52 years to Mrs. Janice Spearman, mother of his three adult children —  Sonjon (sister), 58; Damany, 53; and Anthony, 48, had long been flown back to Detroit, Michigan where the couple first met, and interred in a mausoleum, eventually joined by Mrs. Spearman’s mother, who died exactly thirty days after he was found.

None of the family has ever said a word publicly …until now!

Mrs. Janice Spearman and her youngest son, Dr. Anthony Spearman, an internal medicine physician in Detroit where they now both live, graciously consented to an exclusive interview with The Carolina Peacemaker to share their previously unknown story of immense pain, struggle, pride and enduring faith in God that one day, the final truth will be revealed about the death of the husband, father and leader they will forever love, Rev. Dr. T. Anthony Spearman.

    “I’m thankful for all of the people,” says Mrs. Spearman. “I know that…the people who followed my husband, respected and loved him, I know that they hurt too. At the time of his demise, I just could not communicate with anybody. And at times it’s still hard. He was gone too soon for us, but not gone too soon for GOD.”

“There was still much work for him to do…”

“There’s so much I could say about the whole situation, and I’m just waiting on GOD.”

She continued, “It was a painful… it is a painful thing, and I started not to consent to this interview because of the pain.”

“The one thing that hurts me a lot is knowing how my husband felt about his newly born granddaughter, and every time I’m around her, it pains me to know that they’re not going to be able to grow up with each other. It pains me for her not to know…and that’s why I asked [The Peacemaker] to give me [some] materials so that she’ll be able to at some point in her life  know who her “Pa Pa” was, and she could live through those articles.”

“But by the grace of GOD, I’m good,” Mrs. Spearman continued. “I have faith in GOD and I know He sustained me and brought me out of a depression. I’m probably still depressed, just not acknowledging it. But I’m able to get up every morning and to move around and do things and, you know, I have some happy moments, I have some sad moments and …I have some good memories…”

“And now, as you said, it’s been four years, I’m just beginning to learn some of the lessons he was trying to teach me doing that time of our growing together. Now it’s embedded in me. So I find myself doing some of the things that he would have done. I’m thinking some of the thoughts he would have thought.”

The couple knew each other for 53 years, Rev. Spearman from Port Chester, N.Y. and Mrs. Spearman from Alabama, but raised in Detroit, Michigan, where they met and married. At the time of his death, Rev. Spearman and his wife not only had three adult children, but five grand and one great grandchild.

“He was a man of GOD,” Janice Spearman recalls. “A humble man. My best friend. I even find myself now when something exciting happens or some of that junk we see on TV happens, I find myself picking up the phone to call him. Then I go, “ Oh, I can’t call him.” 

“He was a humorous person,” she continued,  “and he was a quiet man. He was the type that didn’t have to be out front. He tried to push other people out front. He tried to grow other people, I should say. He tried to pull other people up.”

“He tried to help people. He was just a servant of God.”

[ Editor’s Note - Part Two in our next edition recalls how Rev. Dr. Spearman faced considerable hatred and opposition even before he took over leadership of the state NAACP, how he was a man “who spoke the truth” regardless of who had to hear it, and how his family struggled after his death with losing him.]


 GOP CUTS MINORITY

HEALTH & BUSINESS

OFFICES IN NEW STATE 

BUDGET

By Cash Michaels

Contributing writer 

If you’re a North Carolinian of color, the new but belated state budget that the Republican-led NC General Assembly finally passed after over a year and Gov. Josh Stein signed last week doesn’t have much for you to celebrate.

Keeping in line with its policy of eliminating all things DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion), the legislature abolished the Office for Historically Underutilized Businesses. Those are businesses in North Carolina owned and operated by Blacks, Hispanics, females, disabled or other socially or economically disadvantaged groups or communities.

Run by the Dept of Administration under the Small Business Enterprise program, the DOA website now states, “HUB Program Eliminated by State Budget - We regret to inform you that the recent state budget enacted by the NC General Assembly eliminates the Office for Historically Underutilized Businesses. We sincerely appreciate the partnerships we have formed over the past 25+ years and the progress made to increase the number and types of businesses competing for government contracts across the state. The NC Small Business Enterprise Program will move to the Division of Purchase & Contract, with more details coming soon. We are grateful for your support during this transition. Thank you for all that you do for the state of North Carolina.” 

The second major state office of concern to people of color across North Carolina caught in the GOP budget crossfire is the Office of Minority Health and Health and Health Disparities. Operated under the NC Dept. of Health and Human Services, the OMHHD worked to “…eliminate health disparities for all individuals and keeps communities healthy, safe and connected to needed resources and services. OMHHD serves with a partnership-driven approach.

Even though the name of this state office hasn’t changed yet, its website has not posted a “We regret to inform you” message. Instead, its website language speaks of its mission as to promote and advocate for the elimination of health disparities and to ensure fair access to care, especially for populations historically marginalized in North Carolina. OMHHD helps lead an agency-wide strategy that works to remove barriers, close gaps and improve health outcomes across all communities.

The website also stated that the OMHHD has been in place for more than 30 years. All of its duties have now been transferred to DHHS’ Division of Public Health.

Gov. Stein lamented the changes made to those two offices in the new budget.

-30-




No comments:

Post a Comment